Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Canvas

I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful holiday(s). Our family has enjoyed an extended holiday since my husband has been on vacation and both the girls are on break from school. On the other hand though, I will be so glad to get the Christmas tree and decorations down, (planned for tomorrow), and for my routine to return to normal, (whatever that is).

I had a little time for creating and was hit by an urge to make a canvas, (I love canvas art and plan to spend more time on this passion in 2012). This pretty little lady was made from products I found over at Vintage Street Market


Using pieces torn from their Dimestore Vogue Paper Sheets and Tags, I created the first layer of the background. Other layers include acrylic paint dabbed on with bubble wrap, painted lace used like and stamp and rub-ons. I even threw in a little Distress Stain in Vintage Photo. The "Mother" was created from VSM's Family Fashion Set; a collection of vintage style paper dolls featuring mom, dad, son, and daughter along with their various fashions and accessories. (I haven't played with paper dolls since I was a little girl - I cut them out much better now than when I was six). The flower was cut from a piece of a Prima Decorative Border and attached with Helmar's Liquid Scrap Dots. All other papers and embellishments were applied with Golden Gel Medium in matte.

I think I enjoy canvas art so much because it allows me to combine many different art mediums, (hence mixed media), and it can be so MESSY, (I love messy). Canvas and other mixed media art forms help use up scraps and give artists the opportunity to play with art forms in an almost experimental fashion. If it doesn't work, all that's necessary to fix it is just to use another art form. No one will even know and your accident or experiment is easily covered up or maybe even enhanced by another media form.

I'm so glad you stopped by today. 

Happy Creating.
Susan

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan