Monday, January 9, 2012

What to do When your Project Goes South

Have you ever created an element for a project - scratch that. Have you ever created a MAIN element for a project and it looked like, well, you know, CRAP? I know you have. We all do it from time to time. I think though how we handle it defines us in some way. Do you freak at mistakes; toss it out  and start all over again? If so, I'm going to call you a Type A artist, (Not to be confused with a Type A personality. I know many Type A artist who are far from a Type A personality). Now, on the other hand' if you just kind of "piff" at the oops, turn it over a few times, re-evaluate, and find an alternative, (I call this opportunities to embellish or enhance), then you might be what I call a Type B artist, (Not to be confused with a Type B personality. I'm a Type A personality but nothing about an oops sends me into a tail spin.).

On to the point of this post. I've been working on a calendar project based on Roni's, over at Ink Stains, annual Technique Calendar. I attempted the Floating Stars technique using Glossy Accents and it just didn't turn out to my liking. What was I going to do though? The calendar itself was the technique for the month I was working on; if the calendar wouldn't work then the technique wouldn't be displayed. What should I do? Start over or look for another solution? (Type A or Type B).


I choose Type B. I think I gravitate to this type because I'm cheap. I just can't throw it out and start over again. The loss of the time and material is just too precious to me. So, to deal with my dislike of the calendar but still make use of the finished product and the technique, I decided to use the calendar in a different way. I began by cutting some stripes and hearts, (can you guess the month?), from the calendar

I hope to finish the calendar page later tonight or tomorrow. If so, it will be my blog post for Tuesday. If not, it will be my post for Wednesday, (either way, letting you know that I started it will keep me accountable to finish it).

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Creating.
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your final project with this. I mostly flip out. But, I'm working on that. I've learned to be great friends with my pal, Gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so good at working with mistakes to your advantage, definately not me, like Cheryl I LOVE Gesso :) It's my band-aid :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan