Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What to do When Your Project Goes South Part II


Yesterday I introduced you to my theory on Type A and B Artists. Far from an exact science but a good enough hypothesis for me to fill an entire blog entry and have enough fodder left over for today. In a nutshell I determined that feeling a need to start over is possibly the mark of a Type A and re-evaluating and changing the project could be a Type B. I admitted to being a Type B mostly because I am cheap and can't bring myself to throw out product. And, remember we established that Type A and B Artist types are not to be confused with Type A and B personality types. Enough recap.

Here's the flopped calendar that started the whole ordeal. The technique just didn't pan out for me. 


It's too dark, I can't read the numbers and there's a lot of air bubbles. I'm sure with practice, this technique using glitter, ink, and Glossy Accents, (please see Roni's post at Ink Stains for a short tutorial), would look perfect. I just wasn't happy with my results. Instead of tossing the calendar I cut it into strips and hearts. Doing this allowed me to salvage the technique and incorporate it into my project, just not as a calendar.


Here's the end results. I just printed another calendar and glued the strips from the original calendar to the edges of the house to create the framework, (now covered by the seem binding - I think that's what the pink nylon lacy stuff is called. Can you tell I'm not a sewer?), and the hearts became accents. 



And this is what was left over from the original calendar.


Just a pile of scraps ready for the garbage can. No panic, no starting over, just a change in the final outcome. 

This entire technique calendar project is really a lot of fun. I'm learning new things and incorporating some of my own technique imagination along the way.

Thanks for stopping by today and please check out Ink Stains With Roni for more info on the technique calendars.

Happy Creating.
Susan

4 comments:

  1. that came out so much better than i would have done. you know me, i would have trashed it and started over

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, love your calendar - thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comments - so appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out great! Can't believe it's a chopped up mistake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susan - I agree - reuse - reuse -reuse - See those little pieces you had left over at the end - I even use those! I made a card from those little bits once, glued them on the front of the card and then inside it said "Let's pick up the pieces" - So you see there is always a use for everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan