Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Don't Lose Yourself in the Directions



Are you the type who reads the directions before assembling a new purchase? Usually I look at the pictures; paying little attention to anything written on the paper. I just like to wing it. If something doesn't fit or work I'll go back and glance at the instructions and, if all else fails, I'll read the print. UGH! Can't stand it. Reading instructions is the most boring thing in the world, that is until it comes to crafting.

I often so distrust or over think my process that I'm glad to find other artists' ideas, especially if there's a tutorial. On occasion though, I will follow the instructions in such detail that I forget to make the project my own. I'll follow the process to the letter and make it look  just like the original designer made it. Well, what's the fun in that? It's like paint by numbers, (well that can be fun but you can't "make it your own" so to speak).

This month I'm taking an online cardmaking class. I thought if I actually paid money for card ideas I would get my Christmas cards made and mailed out this year. I'm looking at the class fee as my motivator; making my wallet my accountability partner. So far so good. I've got a couple dozen cards made in my spare time but it didn't start out with a bang. 

The class fee included sketches, (I love sketches), and even included a tutorial for an assembly line card, (cut 20 of these, attach A to B, stamp a sentiment, bang, 20 cards in no time flat). Wow I thought! I'll just follow this process and with the help of my daughters, we'll knock this out in no time.  I'm sad to report, (as she hangs her head low), that I was wrong. Nothing about the process was working. I cut, embossed, stamped and placed product as per the instructions and it looked like, dare I say, CRAP!. But how could it? The original designer's cards were beautiful. That's just it though isn't it? I was recreating her original work and not my own. There's something about looking at someone else's art; loving and appreciating it, but if I make the exact same thing I don't like it because it's not from my heart. 

What was I going to do? I had all these pieces cut and time invested, (I put on my thinking cap. I notice as I get older that cap gets bigger and harder to handle. It's grown with knowledge but harder to handle because it has so much BAGGAGE attached to it - Bet you didn't know this post was going to include a therapy session). To salvage what I started I decided to alter my embellishments; age 'em up, tear 'em up, and ink 'em up. I put everything together and still, you guessed it, CRAP! 

Then, a revelation happened. My youngest daughter comes in the crafting area, picks up the background I was using, (the only thing I hadn't altered), and said, "this doesn't look like you at all, it isn't your style and doesn't go with anything else". OMG! She was right. The happy-go-lucky, typical Christmas red background definitely is not my style and why would I even think about adding it to my cards.? Had I lost my mind?No, not really. I had just 
lost myself in the directions.  

Before
After
I pulled out some vintage style Kraft paper and matched up some coordinating patterns and colors to what I already altered. I reviewed the sketches and even came up with some new ideas for more cards using what I like. I'm feeling so much more accomplished. It's amazing how much better our creations appear when we make them our own. 


Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to MAKE IT YOUR OWN!


Happy Creating.
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Wow these are amazing, and yes, Sara was right! It really looks so much better :) More YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cards and envious that you appear to have all your christmas cards complete! I haven't even started!! Yikes!!
    Hugs,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan