Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wow! What a Transformation

Ok, dare I toot my own horn? I think I will. I absolutely love the transformation of this $2.75 thrift store spice rack purchase. I love it so much that I'm going to show you the "After" picture first. 



Isn't that really cute, (ok, the tops on the bottles aren't particularly attractive but I'm still looking/thinking about an alternative stopper)?

This is how it started out. Really nothing to look at. Even if I wanted to use it for it's original purpose it would have required work.


I dabbed some white acrylic craft paint tinted with a little Golden's Fluid Acrylic in Primary Magenta all over the display and then went back with a baby wipe and dabbed some of it away. 

After drying, I used Helmar's Crackle Medium to give it some thin cracks. The Crackle Medium is a 2 step process that takes about 30 minutes, (give or take) from beginning to CRACK! The cracks were filled in with Ranger's Distress Ink in barn door. (Using a cosmetic sponge I rubbed the ink over the entire project and let it sit for a few minutes, then I used a rag to wipe it off. The color stays in the cracks. how AWESOME is that!).



The rest are just rub-ons and some pearl bling. The flowers I made with lace from my wedding gown, (Don't swoon. My dress was almost entirely destroyed in a flood and I've made use of the lace in all kinds of projects for the past several years. Reusing the lace is my way of passing on my dress). After bunching the lace into a flower, I dyed it with some Range Distress Ink in worn lipstick, and added some Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam in Chandelier. The Glam makes the sparkle and also stiffens the lace.


 


So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for stopping by.

BTW, my plans for this weekend include making a light box. Hopefully using a light box will improve on at least one aspect of my photography.
Happy Creating.
Susan

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, it's so gorgeous!!! You have been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tutorial on this project! And those flowers are now even more precious to me knowing that you used your wedding dress! I too lost precious things in a flood:( but the beauty of your dress lives on in your obvious passion to create and re-purpose!

    ~Vanessa W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, this is absolutely stunning. I love everything, even those stoppers. I love the shabby chic look they give the whole project. Love that you repurposed not only the shelf, but also your wedding dress lace. And, of course, the fact that you used TA and Helmar to make this project sing just thrill me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan