Thursday, October 13, 2011

Altered Book

I'm taking a couple of classes over at My Creative Classroom and wanted to share some of my new found techniques. BTW, my craft room is in a mess. One of the classes I'm taking, The Organized Crafter, has caused me to send my messy, but always organized work space into a NIGHTMARE! I am such a disorganized reorganizer. In other words, I make a really big mess while moving and rearranging. The entire project is like a treasure hunt without a map and I'm so looking forward to using some of those forgotten treasures that I've been uncovering.

The other class I'm taking is Alter This by Shirley Pando. This is a SUPER fun class and I'm learning so much. As it turns out, I can alter a book in a very limited space. (Good thing since my work space is currently limited to the size of my self healing mat).  We are just starting our second week and up to now I've played with a few background techniques which are new to me. These include creating backgrounds with modeling paste, brown bags, waxpaper, and different types of crackle mediums, (I'm not an expert at the latter just yet. Still need lots of practice).

Here's a few photos to show off my progress so far. 

Brown paper bag. Painted, wrinkled, and glued. I used Distress Ink to highlight the raised areas.


Crackle paint. I need way more practice using this product. I also used Golden's Crackle  Paste  on another page. I'll share that at a later time.


So far this is my favorite technique - painted and wrinkled waxpaper. This picture doesn't  do it justice.


A close up of the wrinkles. Distress Ink was added to bring attention to the wrinkles.




This last one was made with lightweight spackling as an alternative to modeling paste. It worked just fine and I can use the spackling to fix a place in my ceiling that has a crack. This technique is "heavier" looking than the others and I'm not sure that I like it in my book. I plan to do another page or two using the spackling but with a much thinner coating.



A close  up of the spackling showing the lines I created using a plastic fork. The spackling can be painted before or after it is applied. I misted it with Adirondack color Wash in Sunset Orange.


Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Creating.
Susan

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I do like the wrinkled paper too. You'll have to show me that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan