Monday, October 24, 2011

Scrap-A-Go-Round

My homemade Clip It Up or as my friend Cheryl calls it, a "Scrap-A-Go-Round" has been driving me nuts. I didn't want to get rid of it since it serves a very useful purpose and it cost next to nothing to make, but something had to be done. It just wasn't working in its current location. 

A little background on this items. I used an old lamp shade, sans the shade part, to create a place to clip my stickers and various other small embellishments that come in a clear plastic sleeve. I purchased curtain clips from Ikea and did a little twisting job on them to make them suitable for hanging on my lamp shade frame. 

Purchased from Ikea in a package of about 25. The hanger part had to be twisted so that the clips hung to the inside instead of from front to back. Does that make any sense at all?

My Scrap-A-Go-Round really works great provided it has three things; location, location, location. My problems came with the location, (couldn't you have guessed that?). My crafting area is a small section of my living room that is walled off by use of bookcases. The area is very functional as long as I find creative ways to store my supplies. The Scrap-A-Go-Round hung from the underneath of a shelf that is over my craft table. Very clever place to hang it, but because I like to keep my laptop in front of it, I never could get to the contraption and I was always knocking things off. I had to move it or loose it. 

What a mess! I had to close my laptop just to take this picture.

It was my oldest daughter who actually came up with an idea on how and where to move it. K.C. my DD decided we should look for a lamp to hold the shade, (totally makes sense). She came up with the idea of a floor lamp so that it would be off my craft table all together. We searched thrift stores for the perfect shape, size, and price and hit pay dirt last Friday at the Salvation Army. This real prize of a lamp was only $8. What a deal. And it looks great, don't you think?


This floor lamp is absolutely perfect for this project. 

Can you believe those legs? The design adds stability so it won't tip over with the top heavy weight of  the shade. It's like someone custom made it for me.
Thank goodness for young minds and bright ideas.

Here's my finished creation. I LOVE IT!!! It's practical, functional, and in a much much better location.


So much neater than under the shelf.

Hope you enjoyed my little upcycling project.

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Creating.
Susan

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan