Sunday, October 2, 2011

My New Romance

I have a new love. Well, actually two new loves. The first is for black gesso. I used some a couple of weeks ago at my friend Cheryl's house and just had to have some of my own. I can't tell you how it transforms a basic substrate, (makes an instant background, covering up a white journal page or canvas in nothing flat), and colors just pop off the page, (not all colors and not all mediums - I'm still playing with both and feeling out what I like best).

My second new romance is for my black PITT artist brush. That thing has been untouched for months. (Actually, I never would have bought it except for the incredible clearance deal I got). Never thought I had a need to create fat black lines. Was I ever wrong. The brush is also great for touching up little mistakes on my pages and panels that have been covered in black gesso, (think of it like a black eraser that covers instead of removing the mistake).


This example is from my art journal. I was experimenting with a technique called "Black Magic",  that I picked up from Roni at Ink Stinks. I used a variety of mediums including watercolor paint, (wasn't pleased with that result and probably won't use it again - too transparent), water soluble crayons and my PITT brush for outlining. I made small dots in the center with my Terra Cotta Adirondack marker.  The image was stamped using white acrylic paint on a thick foam flower stamp, (I can't remember the manufacturer). It was a super fun project and I definitely will use this technique again.



Thanks of stopping by.

Happy Creating.
Susan

1 comment:

  1. I love my black Pitt, I use it like you do too like an eraser :) Never thought of it like an "eraser".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan