Tuesday, December 13, 2011

13th Day of Christmas - The Magic of Christmas

Image from www.graphicsfairy.blogspot.com

Before I post today's question I would like to comment that this project started out as a way to gather Christmas memories on a small scale. This way, I wouldn't be overloaded or struck by forgetfulness later on when I wanted to scrap the holidays. Well, what was it I heard on Grey's Anatomy or Private Practice, (one of the two, who can tell the difference?), "People plan, God laughs". Is that the truth or what? Our December has been so busy with life that documenting the holidays just hasn't happened in quite the way I'd planned. It's all good though. All the ups and downs, unplanned events and expenses, an auto accident, (don't worry, everyone is fine), and final exam meltdowns, (two daughters in college plus finals, equals an event worthy of a Lifetime Movie), don't make for a hill of beans worth of difference when you measure it against the love and support that come from family and friends. We are so richly blessed each and every day. I cannot complain one bit.

Now, on with the question of the day. When did you learn about the "magic" of Christmas? This was revealed to me by my, at the time, seven year old cousin, who was two years younger than me. After verifying this new and interesting information through Mom, I felt like I was more grown-up somehow. I either knew things that my friends didn't know or I knew things that they already knew and was on equal footing.

Looking back, I wouldn't change one thing; not even if I could. I didn't always feel that way though. When I was a new mother I would have preferred for the secret to live on; I even tried to keep it "hush hush" from my daughters until they were old enough to marry, but that didn't work out. Now, as an "old" mother,  I look at it as a rite of passage. A time when I learned that the "magic" of Christmas is in the giving and not in the receiving.

Happy Creating and Merry Christmas. I hope your magic of the holiday is truly remarkable and unforgettable.
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Susan